Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New year, new dramas

So it's been a while. I managed not to overeat (much) nor oversleep (much) but was in for a rude awakening when I arrived back at work. The boss was away for 2 weeks and I was "in charge". Now I was prepared for this. What I was not prepared for was the manic week that would ensue, with every man and his dog (literally) wandering in for the post-New Year rush. I managed to fill two afternoons bringing puppies into the world - after 6 months here they were the first two caesarians that we had and of course waited until 3pm in the afternoon when there were only 2 people in the clinic! The surgeries went well, recovery for one of the dogs however, was a little dodgy.

I had just placed her in one of the upper cages (about 1m off the floor) when the drip line caught and I turned away FOR ONE SECOND to pull it loose. In that second the dog managed to ROLL out the cage and landed on the floor with an audible THUMP! I think it was her head hitting the ground. Fortunately she was still very groggy and is not a particularly intelligent dog anyway so I don't think this had any effect. Unfortunately we had a couple of clients in the kennels picking up their dog. Why do things like this always happen at the most inappropriate times? I grabbed at the dog with an audible expletive, and the woman remarked, "Wow, she just rolled straight out there!"
"Yep, she'll be fine though, she's still sedated," I replied, hoping that they didn't think that this sort of thing happened all the time. Now, I occasionally accidentally knock the odd head on the cage door as I pull dogs (or cats) out of their cage, and have been known to bump a head or two when carrying animals through doorways...but this was the first time an animal had actually DROPPED two feet to the ground. Oops. Luckily the owner, who was sitting out front, was none the wiser. Though the nurse did ask me what the big bang she heard from the front desk was!

For anyone concerned, no dogs were harmed in the making of this blog. She was fine and had 4 beautiful fat puppies...and a bit of a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment