Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brain drain

I'm starting to organise my notes/textbooks/downloaded articles in preparation for the big migration to the UK where I will soon be spending a couple of years terrifying (I mean treating) all manner of weird and wonderful creatures (like rabbits and guinea pigs and...shudder...birds) and I've come to a conclusion. I am useless at keeping up with further study.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for continuing education, and would love to be more educated...if only I had more time. During the day I will often do quick searches on current cases and find many very interesting articles, but don't have time to really take them in (just tell me where the "treatment" section is!) and so I download them in the hope that "one day" I will read them properly. I must confess that after a long day at work, the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is read medical journals or study textbooks. A big glass of red wine or cold beer is always a more attractive option. And so, I'm left with a computer full of downloaded articles that I'm sure are extremely useful, and an ever-increasing guilt that I am not expanding my knowledge. In fact, I'm pretty sure I am losing knowledge from Uni at a steady rate of mental atrophy.

But, as I sip my wine after a hard evening of surfing, I can be safe in the knowledge that it is all in my computer...just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment