Sunday, February 7, 2010

Paranoid rantings


Last weekend I went for a walk along the "Tanglewood Track" in Noosa National Park. My parents were worried about me wandering around the park on my own as a woman had been raped in the past in a remote area of the park. Now this didn't deter me since if I didn't go to places just because they "might" have rapists lurking around every corner, I would be stuck in my room watching reruns of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and drinking rum and coke.

So I went for the walk during a busy time of day on a popular track, constantly aware of the ever-present danger of potential rapists hiding behind every rock and tree. I scoped out escape routes and made sure I had enough energy in reserve to knee someone in the groin and run away (which is about the extent of my self-defense knowledge). All completely unnecessary as the only guy I saw that looked like a potential rapist turned out to have a baby strapped to his back and his partner lagging behind. That's the last time I listen to my mum's paranoid rantings.

No comments:

Post a Comment